The Doppelgänger in Comedy

Can doppelgängers, doubles, and comedy mix together? A new phenomenon has occurred in the recent comedy horror film “Zombieland: Double Tap” where the main characters stumble upon what seems to be slightly altered versions of themselves or put simply, people who look and act similar to themselves. 
When I first saw this movie in the theater last year, the double and doppelgänger were fairly unfamiliar subjects for me. This being said, I felt no discomfort when seeing two versions of the same person on the big screen. However, should it be common for us to regularly see doppelgängers in the context of comedy?
Personally, I think there is a certain uncanniness that comes with seeing other people be so comfortable with the idea of a human replicant.
To further explain what I mean: since I was once in this position I believe I have a dual perspective on the fact that I don’t think the typical movie-goers feel uncanny feelings when watching a comedy and seeing a typical doubles trope. However, I think the uncanny feeling is felt by us who have further knowledge on the double and the doppelgänger. 
Seeing an audience be so comfortable with the idea of doubles is in itself, uncanny. 
To round up my thoughts: I don’t think its harmful for doubles or doppelgängers to be portrayed in a lighthearted manner; however, much like my motive for my current paper titled ‘The Sexualized Vampire and their Uncanny Double Life,’ I believe the audience needs to be aware of what the media is feeding them so, in this case, they are able to make their own judgements about the doppelgänger in popular media.

Comments

Popular Posts